Saturday, June 5, 2010

How many GroVia cloth diapers will you need?


A frequent cloth diapering question that I get asked is, 'How many GroVia cloth diapers will I need?

What I always tell people in person, regardless of the diapering brand they are considering, is that you can start with as little as 3 diapers when you begin cloth diapering, but if you have enough to do a full load of laundry (6 - 12 shell sets) that will make things easier. Otherwise, you have to do small diaper loads, resulting in more water and energy usage.

Here are the specifics for GroVia, formally knows as Gro Baby:

If you start off with one GroVia Shell Set, you will have 1 one-sized waterproof outer shell/cover that grows with your baby from 8 - 35lbs and 1 soaker pad. (The old Gro Baby system from The Natural Baby Company also came with a booster for extra absorbancy but the new GroVia system doesn't offer this as part of the set anymore.) When your baby's soaker pad is wet, simply remove from the shell and replace with a clean, dry soaker pad. The outer shell can be used for a few changes. GroVia says that most people find having 2 - 4 shells per day is good, but recommend having 12 minimum as adding more shells to your baby's cloth diaper rotation to increase their overall wear and tear/longevity!

The new GroVia Shell Sets sell for $29.35 in Canada and a 2 pack of GroVia boosters is $19.95. One Shell Set and 2-Pack of Soaker pads would cost $43.30 and would be the equivalent of 3 diapers at $16.43 each. Don't forget that this system grows with your baby so you get to keep using the shells and inserts as your baby goes from diaper size small to medium and large. 4 Shell Sets and 4 2-pack Soaker pads would cost you $173.20 and would last you 12 diaper changes. 12 diaper changes is what a newborn would go through on average in one day and then that number tapers down as your baby gets older.


If you go with a Live GroVia Cloth Diaper Package, you can drop your 'cost per diaper' down to only $12.25 plus you get 4 organic boosters that can help out for naps, overnight, or car rides. The Live GroVia package is your best value and includes 12 shells, 24 soaker pads, and 4 boosters. I estimate that this diapering package would pay for itself within 4 - 5 months versus buying disposable diapers at approximate $0.30/diaper. Not to mention the benefits of cloth diaper for your baby or the planet outside of costs.

Are you using GroVia or Gro Baby already for your baby? If so, what are your thoughts on their diapering system. How did GroVia and Gro Baby fit your newborn? How many GroVia or Gro Baby diapers do you have in your baby's rotation and which colour or pattern is your favourite?

15 comments:

  1. I read that you were a Winnipeger! I just wanted to say Hi! You have a nice blog! Cheers, Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Aimie. I stopped by your online store today, and thought I typed in the wrong address! Looks like you did a major overhaul to you site. Do you still offer pick up of products at your home to save on shipping?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa! We decided to finally upgrade our free open source cart. :) We don't officially have local pickup listed as an option but we do offer it when it's requested. If you are placing an order for any items, just choose local delivery and then I can contact you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought one diaper and two additional snap-in inserts. After only 4 washes, one of the inserts is already falling apart! The side gusset has torn away from the diaper which exposes the elastic inside. For $10 each, I am quite disappointed in this diaper. Now I have to return it and hope I can get a refund....sometimes you DON'T get what you pay for, I guess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy winter Boots with a price guarantee and top rated customer service,fashion on the outside,warm on the inside.Your best choice in this winter------ugg boots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi my loves! I just wanted to let you in one of Lamar’s favorite basketball performance secrets. He wears a power balance bracelet and he never plays without it. power balance bracelet is

    Performance technology that has helped him with his balance and endurance this season. It has taken him to a whole new level when he plays, but it affects

    everyone differently. It’s not just for athletes, Rob wears one too!
    Lamar has it in all different colors — you can see him wearing his yellow one in the second pic in the gallery. Here’s me wearing a black one :) Click through the

    gallery to see all the other colors it comes in. zhu zhu pet,

    Emporio Armani
    ,
    omega-watch are waiting for your choices. 10% discount. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started out with two shell sets, two additional soakers and two boosters to test the system out. I love it and it works well on my long, skinny 4 month old. She is more comfortable in them than in disposables, and it has greatly improved the rash situation. I have ordered six more sets plus additional soakers in a package from a local supplier. I love the system, as it is very user friendly. We have had no issues so far with leaking or anything. I think my favourite print is either the owls or the mod flowers. Both are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of those companies was caught and the result is: "In our advertising we stated that power balance wristbands improved your strength, balance and flexibility. We admit that there is no credible scientific evidence ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of those companies was caught and the result is: "In our advertising we stated that power balance wristbands improved your strength, balance and flexibility. We admit that there is no credible scientific evidence ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of those companies was caught and the result is: "In our advertising we stated that power balance wristbands improved your strength, balance and flexibility. We admit that there is no credible scientific evidence ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would love to have a link to our website on your blog for your followers to check out. I will link your website on ours too if your interested. I am a stay at home mom with a new online cloth diaper outlet store. Come check us out!
    www.calgaryclothdiaperdepot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. It takes washing and drying to be able to get use of the baby cloth diaper again. But that is the power of practicality and being a wise Mom would really make a difference. I am pro on baby cloth diaper to my baby and I get so much help from www.babynaturale.com, check them, award winning Happy Heinys One Size diapers are designed with the same quality and luxuriousness of the Happy Heinys Pocket Diapers only they are made to fit baby from birth to potty training. Thanks.. Keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will say I use grovia full time with my 17 month old. I have 5 shells and 10 soakers. I wash every 2 days or so. I air out the shells by switching them during changes. My son only needs to be changed every 3-5 hours depending if its just pee. I havent had stink issues with my shells.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just wanted to say thank you so much for clearing this up for me! I was thinking that you used both snap-ins at once so the 12 shell package was only 12 diapers for nearly 400$. This really cleared things up.

    ReplyDelete